Connecticut Labor Day Activities
Connecticut has a variety of fun offerings and events in store for Labor Day weekend, for travelers who are looking to relax, be active, or enjoy a mix of the two!
- Celebrate: Head to the Goshen Fair at the Goshen Fairgrounds (Sept. 5-7) – this major agricultural fair features livestock judging, draft horse show, woodcutting competition, entertainment, food vendors, midway, arts and crafts, home exhibits, and more.
- Enjoy: Find action-packed thrills and more than 250 vintage racecars at the Historic Festival 33 Vintage Auto Racing Extravaganza at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville (Sept. 3-7).
- Eat: Dine in style at the Community Table in Washington and enjoy the freshest locally-sourced ingredients, cooked seasonally and only with food gathered from the surrounding environment.
- Stay: Located in the picturesque New England town of Washington, The Mayflower Grace is the perfect countryside getaway.
- Celebrate: Don’t miss the Woodstock Fair (Sept. 4-7) – spend some time at the state’s second oldest agricultural fair this weekend, featuring crafts, food, livestock shows, petting zoo, free stage shows, midway, go-kart races, strolling entertainers, and much more.
- Enjoy: Take a memorable ride in an open-air train car on Railroad Day at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum in Willimantic (Sat. Sept. 5).
- Eat: Dine at Restaurant Bravo Bravo while overlooking downtown Mystic –watch the hustle of the world pass by while sipping on oversized martinis or exceptional wines and feasting on creative pastas, fresh fish and homemade desserts.
- Stay: Relax with a romantic getaway at the Inn at Harbor Hill Marina, Niantic, and its Fall “Inn” Love in New England travel deal.
- Celebrate: Take the family to the Haddam Neck Fair (Sept. 4-7) in East Haddam for tons of festive activities including baking contest, tractor pulling, horse show, road race, exhibits, family entertainment, midway, truck and tracker pulls.
- Enjoy: Calling all detectives to the Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford (Sat. Sept. 5) for a family fun game of I Spy at the Museum! Kids can decorate their own magnifying glass, and then search through the galleries to see how many objects they can find.
- Eat: Pile your plate high at the Labor Day Clambake at Brownstone Exploration Park in Portland (Sat. Sept. 5) or at Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships at Riverside Park in Hartford (Sat. Sept. 5).
- Stay: Spend the night at the Hartford Downtown Marriott – conveniently located next to the Adriaen’s Landing District of Hartford, overlooking the Connecticut River. Also features dining on-site at Mediterranean & Italian restaurant Vivo.
Greater New Haven
- Celebrate: Head to Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison to enjoy Labor Day weekend at Connecticut’s largest shoreline park, with a two-mile beach, facilities for swimming, camping (through Columbus Day), picnicking, saltwater fishing, scuba diving, hiking and boating; concessions.
- Enjoy: Attend al fresco performances of “Twelfth Night” by William Shakespeare at Edgerton Park in New Haven (Sept. 3-6). Presented by the Elm Shakespeare Company, shows start at 8p.m. and are free with a suggested donation. Bring a blanket, chair or picnic basket for a full night of entertainment.
- Drink: Craft beer and waterfront views make Stony Creek Brewery in Branford a unique shoreline destination, located on the banks of the Branford River. Tap into the world of craft beer, enjoy samples of the fresh beers and learn a little on the way.
- Stay: Spend the night at the Study @ Yale in New Haven, a unique hotel that features comfortable overnight accommodations, a lively bar and delicious dining options. The hotel is also within walking distance of downtown New Haven.
- Celebrate: Attend the Blues, Views & BBQ Festival at Levitt Pavilion for the Performing Arts in Westport (Sept. 5-6). Family fun activities include pie and rib eating contests, bull riding, games and activities, chef demonstrations, barbecue competitions, a People’s Choice wing contest and a music stage with top-notch blues bands playing throughout the weekend.
- Enjoy: Come nose-to-nose with sharks, seals, river otters, jellies, sea turtles and other amazing marine animals at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk. Also, try a year-round study cruises abroad the aquarium’s unique hybrid-powered research vessel, R/V Spirit of the Sound™.
- Eat: Check out beautiful views at Sunset Grille, a seasonal seafood restaurant located in the Norwalk Cove Marina. Have a cocktail on the deck as daylight turns to dusk and you’ll feel like you’re on a resort island.
- Stay: Spend the night at the Delamar Southport, located in the heart of Southport. Stroll the tree-lined streets, take a trip to the beach, or visit the nearby galleries and shops.